The primary objective of the Engineering Team Lead is to deliver the CRS new product development schedule on time, on spec and within budget and to provide leadership and engineering project management direction for the development team of project manager, industrial designer, CAD operator, standards and testing manager and technical writer.
Additionally, the role is responsible for ensuring compliance to FMVSS213 and ASTM Standards, participating in standards establishment, leading IP & patent management, as well as managing relationships with external regulatory, and research stakeholders.
Duties & Accountabilities
New Product Development Program Management est. 75% of time
• Program manage all CRS NPD projects through the Britax Milestone process from inception through to volume build and facilitate delivery of overall projects through cross functional team including (but not limited to) Product Management, Operations, Quality, Purchasing, Finance.
• As a member of the cross functional NPD project team establish industry leading engineered innovation through sound technical competence and capability.
• Monitor, control and report through the milestone process on a monthly basis on progress vs time, cost & spec of all Companywide NPD programs
Ongoing Engineering Management est. 15% of time
• Contribute initiatives to facilitate continuous improvement of existing products and processes.
• Facilitate engineering input in cross functional cost reduction projects through value engineered solutions
• Lead evaluation of proposed engineered ongoing design changes as well as manage and drive closure of outstanding change requests
Compliance Management est. 10% of time
• Manage compliance to US Safety Standards & other relevant external bodies & standards, review technical data including planning of test programs and initiate new or modify existing engineering procedures
• Leading IP & patent management, ensuring new developments are protected and do not infringe existing patents. Including manage Britax patent Attorney relationship and advice. Participate in global Britax patent & IP forums.
• Manage key stakeholder relations with external regulatory and research organizations.
• Establish a safe and healthy workplace for staff under supervision in accordance with employer’s obligations under relevant OSHA legislation.
• Take reasonable care of own health and safety and other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions as required under OSHA legislation.
Key Skills Required
• Strong project management and planning skills with attention to detail, demonstrating ability to work and manage multiple projects, multitask and deliver effectively to established timelines
• Manage cross functional team, needing to influence and lead members who are not direct reports, within project constraint (time, cost & quality)
• Problem solving under time pressure
• Initiate corrective action to prevent recurrence of non-conformance and instruct project engineers where required and recommend changes to products via BRITAX Change Request process.
Knowledge & Experience
• Experience leading new product development projects
• At least 7 years of experience in new product engineering projects demonstrating ability to provide innovative engineered solutions
• Min. 6 years of experience in a related specialised field (transport such as automotive, aviation or other technical industry)
• Experience with IP, patent management and strategies
• Tertiary qualifications in mechanical engineering
• Creo/Windchill or Solidworks experience required
• Experience in collaborating with internal and external team